It may be hard to believe, but the start of the snow plow season will soon be upon us. To help you get your plow ready before the snow flies, make sure you've reviewed everything on the list below.
Plow Prep Checklist
- Ensure the plow headlights are aligned and working properly.
- Check couplers, hoses, lift and angle rams for leaks.
- Flush the hydraulic system and add new hydraulic fluid.
- Test the hydraulics to ensure the plow moves up, down, left & right properly.
- Tighten the trip and return springs.
- Grease the fittings used on pivot pins and king bolts.
- Measure the cutting edge. If the it’s less than 4”, replace it.
- Tighten cutting edge bolts if needed.
- Tighten all fasteners in the vehicle mount.
- Tighten mounting bolts if needed.
- Check all welds on the vehicle mount and moldboard.
- Clean and add dielectric grease to all electrical connections.
- Adjust the drop speed of the plow to your preference (if applicable).
- Check your vehicle's charging system.
- Check your vehicle's battery.
- Make an emergency parts kit to minimize any downtime and to stay safe. Include extra hoses, fuses, trip and return springs, hydraulic fluid, solenoids, tow straps, flares, and a shovel.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be ready to go as soon as that first snowflake falls.
What do you do to get your plow ready for the season? Do you have any tips to share? Leave a comment below!